Commercial or Owner Operator Truck Insurance: Georgia Requirements

As a commercial owner operator vehicle owner in Georgia, you are required to obtain a Commercial Vehicle Insurance Policy that covers each vehicle. Any vehicle that is used for business or any commercial use or that is licensed by the state of Georgia as a commercial vehicle must be insured. Although there are minimum requirements for commercial or owner operator truck insurance in Georgia, there are also some things that, although not required, are highly recommended.

Owner Operator Insurance in Georgia – Required Coverage By Georgia Law

Bodily Injury Liability

If you cause an accident that someone else is injured in, you may be held legally responsible for the damages. Not only does Bodily Injury Liability pay for damages, it also provides you with a certain amount of legal defense if someone sues you.

The minimum amount of coverage that Georgia requires is $25,000/$50,000. The first number is the maximum amount your insurance will pay to a single person in a car accident for injuries. The second number is the maximum amount that will be paid to multiple individuals injured in an accident. Although these are the absolute minimum requirement amounts, it may be in your best interest to purchase more coverage.

Property Damage Liability

If you cause an accident and there are subsequent damages to another person’s property, you will have to pay for it. Property damages are not limited to a vehicle, it can also pertain to a fence, house or other structure. Your coverage will pay for either repair replacement of damaged property.

In Georgia, the minimum amount of coverage required is $25,000, but, in some cases this amount may not fully cover damages. If you cause more damage, you could end up paying out of pocket for the remainder of the amount over your coverage limit. It may be less expensive to obtain the minimum coverage amount, but, as with bodily injury coverage, you may want to increase the coverage amount.

Georgia Owner Operator Insurance – Coverage That’s Not Required Coverage By Georgia Law (But Recommended)

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury

Sometimes other drivers simply do not have auto insurance, or their liability coverage is not adequate. In those cases, uninsured motorist coverage will pay for injuries incurred by you or your passengers as well as damage to your car and other property.


Even if you have liability coverage on your vehicle, the reality is that there may not be enough left over after paying the other parties damages to cover your own. If you crash into another car or property, Collision insurance coverage that will cover those damages.

Comprehensive Coverage

Helps pay for the repair or replacement of your car if it’s damaged, but not in an accident with another vehicle. Most often, comprehensive covers theft, vandalism, natural disasters, falling objects or hitting an animal while driving.

All commercial truck owner/operators in Georgia are required to meet the minimum requirements for insurance, but that doesn’t mean they should settle for this. Contact us to find out more about the options for insurance coverage or to get a quote. We’ll be happy to answer your questions and offer our expert advice as to what coverage is best for you and your company.