When we are involved in an accident we sometimes are in a distressed state of mind and we forget what proper procedures we should do in order to assist with the accident. Below are a few things to take into consideration if you are involved in an accident. Please feel free to print them out and keep them in your glove box with your commercial truck insurance ID card and registration.
You must stop your commercial truck immediately after an accident. Position your truck in a manner that won’t obstruct other motorist if possible. Activate your truck’s hazard lights to alert approaching motorists.
- If someone is hurt, you must attempt to secure medical help right way.
- Try to secure your cargo if able to do so in a safe manner from further loss.
- Stay at the accident scene until law enforcement responds.
- Exchange all your information with the other person, including names, address, license plate numbers, and driver license number and commercial truck insurance information. You can do this while waiting for the law enforcement to arrive.
- If there are any witnesses, be sure to get their names and addresses in order to assist in the claim procedure.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident for the claims adjuster before the vehicles are moved.
- Assist the authorities with completing the accident report with all information available
- Call your commercial truck agent and the commercial truck insurance company as soon as possible in order to get the claim process started. Most companies have a 24/7 claim hotline.
J.E.B. Insurance Services specializes in commercial truck insurance for the states of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina and Texas.