The average long-haul truck driver has some down time when they are at the dock waiting for a shipment to be unloaded or at a stop while on the way to the next destination. Down time comes a various times during the day or late in the evening. Here are five ways that commercial truckers can pass the time:
- Nap – The average amount of sleep for adults is 7-8 hours. While this might not apply to everyone it is very important to rest up before your next destination. Getting a nap in while you have free time is a very beneficial way to pass the time – to you and other drivers.
- Listen- Turn on the Radio and get informed in your industry. There are multiple radio channels everyday to choose from. Why not listen to a radio network about trucking? For a list of participating stations and program scheduling check out www.midnighttrucking.com.
- Quilting- Yes, I said Quilting! The fastest growing way truckers pass time is the popular hobby of stitching, sewing and quilting. It is a great way to make something with pride. Some truckers are now giving back to their local communities with items that have stitched for hospitals, nursing homes and homeless shelters.
- Read- Reading keeps your brain and imagination sharp. You can take book anywhere you go on the road and in this age of technology you can “read” with books on tape.
- Forums- Join a trucker forum online. You can gain insight on industry standards, find new loads and locate the nearest truck stops in your area. When you join a forum you can make new friendships with other truckers and become a community for your time on the road. Check out one of the largest CDL Truck Driver Message Boards at www.truckersreport.com