Illinois Big Rig Insurance: IL Hazmat Spill on Nation’s Busiest Travel Day, December 26, 2019
As reported by Patch.com, the fire department and local hazmat team were called to a hazmat spill on Interstate 80 in Illinois, shutting down traffic for several hours during the busiest travel day of the year, December 26.
Per patch.com “During [a] lane change, the driver told police the trailer began to sway uncontrollably. The driver lost control of the truck and struck the guardrail on the right side of the road, damaging about 200 feet of the rail, before rolling in the right ditch.”
- I-80 Westbound was closed for several hours, in the area between I-30 and I-355.
- The spill was reported to be roughly 100 gallons of phosphoric acid, a mild acid often used in soda pop and carbonated beverages, recognized by the FDA as safe for human consumption.
- The spill was successfully contained and cleaned up.
- Environmental impact is expected to be minimal, if any.
- No injuries were reported.
- The driver was issued a ticket for improper lane use.
Our Role at J.E.B. Insurance: Providing Big Rig Insurance for Illinois Drivers
Accidents happen, and they often seem to come at the worst time. That’s why it’s important to cover your big rig and yourself with quality semi truck insurance from J.E.B. Insurance, LLC.
If you’ve read our blog before, you may remember our post about Illinois “Move Over Law” which requires big rigs to stay in the slow lane unless there is an emergency vehicle or tow truck on the shoulder. In that case, big rigs must move over to the left lane. If traffic doesn’t permit a safe lane change, drivers must slow down and proceed carefully.
We weren’t in the cab with this driver, but we’re happy that no one was injured.
Tickets and HAZMAT spills affect every trucker’s insurance rates! If you need a quote for Illinois big rig insurance, contact us today! We also provide commercial truck insurance in Florida, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Iowa & Nebraska