If you make the decision to lease onto a motor carrier in Iowa, you will find that all of your trucking insurance needs will be determined by the terms of your lease. Most times, you will be provided with primary liability insurance. What does primary liability insurance cover? This insurance will cover any injuries that someone else may have incurred or any damages that occurred if you are ever determined to be at fault during an accident. However, there are some insurance coverages that are generally not provided by a motor carrier, including the following:
- Motor truck cargo insurance is insurance that will cover the load you are responsible for transporting if the load is ever stolen or damaged
- Bobtail insurance is able to cover you when you are not under dispatch. If you are ever involved in an accident or if any type of damage occurs, this type of insurance coverage would respond to the actual claim instead of your primary liability insurance
- Physical damage coverage will cover the cost of replacing your truck or repairing your truck if you are ever involved in an accident, if it becomes damaged, or if someone steals it
While motor carriers will not directly pay for these types of insurance coverages, you may be able to add them at an extra cost. However, you will quickly find that you can get better deals if you actually make the decision to purchase the insurance coverages on your own. When you operate a truck under your own authority in Iowa, you will have the independence you have been searching for. However, it will also mean that you will have the responsibility of paying for your insurance coverage. As a result, you will have to pay for the following on your own:
- Physical damage insurance coverage
- Primary liability insurance coverage
- Motor truck cargo insurance coverage
If you are not going to run under a company, you may not need to purchase Bobtail insurance if you have primary liability insurance. However, if you want to have added protection for your business, you can consider purchasing different types of business coverages and occupational accident coverage.
If you would like more information about the insurance coverages your trucking business needs, please do not hesitate to contact us today.