As an over-the-road truck driver, moving between time zones and fluctuating schedules can wreak havoc on your sleep cycle. More professional drivers than ever are also suffering from sleep apnea, leaving them prone to falling asleep at the wheel. Getting a good night’s rest is especially important for truckers, who can be at an increased risk of an accident or suffer health problems due to a lack of sleep. JEB Insurance, a leading provider of commercial truck insurance in Georgia, would like to offer these tips.
- Keep as much light out of your truck as possible by pulling all your curtains closed and placing a sun shade over top of your windshield if needed
- Eliminate sources of artificial light from items such as alarm clocks, radios, cell phones, and laptops
- Park as far away from other trucks as possible so that you are not disturbed by their air brakes-just be sure you remain in a safe location.
- Avoid parking on on-ramps. Not only is passing traffic noisy, but it can also cause your vehicle to sway from side to side, thereby affecting your sleep
- Try to schedule your sleep breaks for times when your truck is not being loaded or unloaded, as noisy forklifts are likely to keep you up
- Turn the volume on your satellite communications device all the way down, or use a white noise machine to block out the sound
- Leave your air vents closed if possible so that you are not disturbed by outside noises
Having the right commercial or owner-operator truck insurance in Georgia will also help you get a better night’s sleep by giving you one less thing to worry about. If you are in need of commercial truck insurance in Georgia, please contact us.